Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grace Biltmore, Take Two

I have been under the weather this week (more about that later), so we haven't been posting as much.

LeAnn and I took all the kids for our first foray to a church this morning. We arrived at Grace Biltmore around 9:55, service started about 10:10. We took the kids inside, were greeted at the door, navigated through the slim crowd and found a place to sit. Less people than last time, and none came to talk to us.

I had told LeAnn before that one of my major questions was how they handled salvation and baptism. We got the answer this morning, as two kids, a brother a sister, were sprinkled during service. LeAnn and I shared a look and said we would discuss it later.

We really enjoyed the music, but LeAnn and I both said that we seemed to be the only ones. Most folks stood there and didn't sing at all, they just waited for the music to end to sit down again. During the greeting time, the couple in front of us said hello, but no one introduced themselves, and that was it. The sermon was fine again, although LeAnn didn't get to hear much as she had to take care of Owen once and Lily once during the sermon.

After the sermon and before the final song was finished, we noticed a couple of guys pulling out the chair carts. As soon as they had the final blessing, people picked up their chairs, took them to the carts, and left. We took a little longer than most because we had to get Owen bundled back into his carrier. While I took the chairs up LeAnn said one lady introduced herself and talked about the kids. Then we gathered them up and left.

I was deeply disappointed. Maybe it was because we sat on the side closest to the door (I was on the opposite side last time), but the people were no where near as friendly this time around. LeAnn and I said that for a start up church they could do a better job receiving people. I was also disappointed in the worship atmosphere, as it seemed like the people were just waiting to sit down again instead of enjoying what I thought was a good worship experience.

We could get past both of those things; LeAnn and I could be the people singing and making sure to make a beeline to visitors. But we both had trouble with sprinkling, and we both had trouble with a brother and sister being "saved" at the same time. I know it happens, but it felt formulaic to me.

Baptism by immersion is an important ordinance to me. I think it is funny that Baptists insist on full immersion by pointing to the example of Christ and the disciples, but then turn their noses up to wine and bread for the Lord's Supper and say it is only a symbol anyway. I do think that baptism by immersion is important. I understand that I could insist on having my kids baptized, but LeAnn and I don't want to be "the Baptists" in the congregation. The pastor even said after the baptism that he used a lot of water "for our Baptist friends with us today".

Grace Biltmore isn't out of the picture yet. If I were serious about the church I would make a point of introducing myself, and if I were serious about the church I would expect God to show us places where we could plug in and make it better. LeAnn and I said that the crowd probably varied from week to week, and it would be difficult to know who was a visitor and who was not. However, introducing yourself and welcoming someone has nothing to do with whether or not they are a visitor, and everything to do with intentionally wanting to engage people for Christ.

We are looking at our options for next week; stay tuned.

You know, I just had a thought. At some point we will probably join one of these churches, and my brutally honest evaluations will at some point be read by a member or staff. If and when that happens, I just hope and pray they can take criticism in a constructive manner.

Bryan

1 comment:

rbmoff said...

We knew something was wrong when you didn't call last week. We hope that everyone is well this week.
Sometimes churches have to grow on you. But I would have trouble with the sprinkling versus the immersion. And I grew up as a Methodist! Visit around some more. You'll find the right fit for you and the family and where your talents and LeAnn's will be needed. Love,